CalPlug Fall 2022 Workshop
The Solutions for PPLs to Address Climate Concerns: This workshop is addressing the climate concerns for Plug and Process Loads (PPLs) with Executable solutions to balance energy consumption of electrical devices with climate concerns.
10 a.m.: Check In
10:20 a.m.: Welcome by G.P. Li, Director and Professor, CalPlug
10:30 a.m.: Danielle Preziuso, Renewable Energy Research Scientist, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL)
10:55 a.m.: Louis Ting, Director of Power Engineering & Technical Services,
Los Angeles Department of Water and Power
11:20 a.m.: Genaro Bugarin Jr., Director of Energy Innovation, The Energy Coalition
11:45 a.m.: Andrea Warner, Business Relationship Manager, Orange County Power Authority
12:10 p.m.: Speaker Discussion
1 p.m.: Lunch and Networking Reception
Plug Load Energy Testing to Inform Codes and Standards (PLETICS)
CalPlug and its partners, the California Energy Alliance, the California Lighting Technology Center at UC Davis, and California State University Northridge, were awarded $997,000 in funding from the California Energy Commission to identify and test plug loads that present the best opportunity for energy savings as part of future energy codes and appliance standards. The project kicked off in April 2021 and we are moving forward with identifying and assessing devices in the commercial office, commercial laboratory equipment, and residential networking device categories.team page
Nevada Industry 4.0 Survey with NVIE
We excited to announce our project with NVIE, “Smart Manufacturing in Small and Medium Manufacturers in Nevada: Survey of Drivers, Barriers ,and Technologies” has concluded!
Info on the project can be found on our Projects page, or you can read the report by Katie Gladych and Joy Pixley by clicking the button below. Thank you to NVIE for working with us on this project!
CalPlug Workshop #19 and 10th Anniversary Celebration!
CalPlug’s 19th workshop and 10th Anniversary Celebration was held in CalIt2’s own Auditorium. Discussion during the event centered around Climate Resiliency, Lowering greenhouse gas emissions, and inclusivity.
Speakers: G.P. Li, Calit2 and CalPlug Research Center; Doug Johnson, Consumer Technology Association; Kim Trenbath, National Renewable Energy Laboratory NREL; Benjamin Park, Enevate; Matthias Kurwing, Enrvee; Amy Lebar, National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL); Ammi Amarnath, Electric Power Research Institute (EPRI); John Woosley, Center for Sustainable Energy; Li Zhao, CalPlug Research Center; Jay Seidel, Fullerton Drone Lab
- 9:30 am | Check-in/on-site registration
- 10 am | Welcome G.P. Li, Director of CalPlug
- 10:10 am | Opening remarks from CalPlug Advisory Board co-chairs
- Doug Johnson, Vice President, Consumer Technology Association (CTA)
- Kim Trenbath, Innovation Lead, National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL)
- 10:30 am | KEYNOTE: Benjamin Park, Founder & CTO, Enevate: Solving Difficult Problems Together to Help Mitigate Climate Change
- 11 am | Matthias Kurwing, CEO, Enervee: People Power: Massively Scaling Energy Efficiency
- 11:30 am | Amy Lebar, Researcher, National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL): Automatic Type and Location Identification System
- Noon | LUNCH
- 1 pm | Ammi Amarnath, Senior Technical Executive, Electric Power Research Institute (EPRI): Industrial Load Flexibility – An Opportunity for Decabonization in California
- 1:30 pm | John Woolsey, Principal Engineer, Center for Sustainable Energy CHP TAP: Combine Heat & Power – Resiliency and Reliability
- 2 pm | Li Zhao, Technical Director of CalPlug: Plug and Process Loads: Roles and Opportunities in energy Resiliency
- 2:30 pm | Jay Seidel, Professor, Fullerton Drone Lab at Fullerton College: Drones for Efficient Energy and Infrastructure Inspection
- 3 pm | PANEL: Climate Resiliency Solutions
- 3:45 pm | Break
- 4 pm | DEMO: Drone
- 4:30 pm | Wrap up – G.P. Li
- 4:45 pm: | Networking Reception
CalPlug Workshop #18
Monday, October 18, 2021
CalPlug’s 18th was hosted on Webinar, and discussed the processes of Optimizing Energy Efficiency in Spaces, office commercial and in the home.
Speakers: G.P. Li, Calit2/CalPlug Research center; Li Zhao, CalPlug Research Center; John Anderson, OhmConnect; Mary Ann Piette, Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory; Paul Campbell, Facil AI; Michael Myer, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory; Kurt Gokbudak, Schneider Electric
9:00 am – 12:05 pm
- 9:00 – 9:05 am: Welcome & Introduction
G.P. Li – Calit2/California Plug Load Research Center
- 9:05 – 9:20 am: Challenges and Opportunities in Energy Transition,
Decarbonization and Electrification: CalPlug’s Holistic Approach
Li Zhao – CalPlug
- 9:20 – 9:45 am: WiFi smart plugs: the ‘gateway drug’ to home energy automation
John Anderson – OhmConnect
- 9:45 – 10:10 am: Overview of the California Load Flexibility Research and Deployment Hub
Mary Ann Piette – Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory
- 10:10 – 10:35 am: Object Oriented Design in Energy and Decision Management
Paul Campbell – Facil AI
- 10:35 am – BREAK
- 10:40 – 11:05 am: Recent field experience and lessons learned related to automatic receptacle controls
Michael Myer – Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
- 11:05 – 11:30 am: Buildings of the Future, Today. Planning for
Sustainability and Resilience working towards a Healthy Building
Kurt Gokbudak – Schneider Electric
- 11:30 am – DISCUSSION
- noon – 12:05 pm: GP Li – wrap up
ACEEE 2021 Summer Study on Energy Efficiency in Industry
July 12-15, 2021
CalPlug Research Director Joy Pixley presented about survey results from the CESMII Smart Connected Worker project, titled: “Enabling Small and Medium Manufacturers to Adopt Smart Manufacturing” in a panel titled, “How Agile Manufacturing is Helping Small and Medium Manufacturers become Resilient.”
CalPlug Earth Day Workshop
April 22, 2021
At this spring’s CalPlug workshop, we had the largest virtual turnout yet and a rousing discussion by our panelists on the topic of how to work together to find solutions for climate change.
Speakers: G.P. Li, CalPlug; Doug Johnson, Consumer Technology Association; Kim Trenbath; National Renewable Energy Laboratory; David Jacot, Los Angeles Department of Water and Power; Edwin Hornquist, Southern California Edison; Ann Hancock, The Climate Center; Yennie Solheim, Niantic Labs; and Luc Serveri, Sustainable Energy for All.
Better Buildings Alliance Webinar: Beyond Energy Efficiency: How Your Device Usage Patterns Affect Energy Consumption
At the spring DOE Better Buildings Alliance Plug and Process Teams Webinar, CalPlug Research Director Dr. Joy Pixley was invited to give the featured technical presentation (title above). Prior to Joy’s presentation, Felipe Leon of the Pacific Northwest National Laboratory gave an update on the PNNL Integrated Lighting Campaign.
Watch the webinar here (Felipe starts at 12:50, Joy starts at 22:35)